Friday, 21 March 2014

Barcelona in 3 days

Hola!

I just spent 3 days in Barcelona and oh.my.goodness I ♥ that place!



I first visited Barcelona in 2008 and now, 6 years later, it was time to hop back to this beautiful city  - with incredible food, fantastic people and TAPAS! How can I forget Tapas?

As I'd seen all the tourist spots before, this visit was a great opportunity to sample the real Barcelona off the beaten track, especially as I'd practised my Spanish a bit more; 'Quiero Cafe Con Leche Por Favor.'

I also wanted to get some sketches and photographs of some Catalonian inspired street scenes for some studies when I returned back to my studio. I'd been itching to do a european street scene for a few months so, of course, I had to go and visit the one place I knew would inspire me.

First of all we stayed at the Europark Hotel in Eixample District. It was perfect - just a skip and a jump from Girona tube stop which is one stop from Passeig De Gracia where everything else is easily accessible. We walked a lot - Barcelona is definitely a city to be enjoyed on foot!

We ate a few times at Betlem Miscel.lania Gastonomica, just a stroll away from our hotel - a real traditional little bistro/cafe/tapas bar with great staff, friendly locals and really the very best food. Simply delicious each time!

Talking of tapas, we also tried Cuidad Condal which is near Passeig De Gracia - after seeing great reviews on Tripadvisor.  The food was great and the atmosphere buzzed with waiters dashing about behind the bar  - great to watch!  But a bit touristy for me - Prices were really good though (and we did drink a lot of wine!)

For breakfast we hit gold when we found a great spot called Milk Bar and Bistro ( with Eggs Benedict, breakfast smoothies and the best cafe con leche!) I'll let the picture do the talking...



We also brunched at the aptly named Brunch and Cake and ate an epic scrambled egg, turkey, avocado and feta bagel (yes it sounds amazing and it was, it certainly, surely, definitely was!) - Sorry no photo, we polished it off in a flash!

Definitely not to forget, just across the road from Brunch and Cake, we had the best Gelato in Barcelona and coffees at DelaCrem. The staff here were so friendly and smiling too, it was a triple win! Coffee + Gelato + Smiles = happiness.

As well as sampling fantastic food with the locals, I made time to visit the Picasso Museum which was beyond inspirational. (Sorry no photos were allowed inside!)

Muchos Gracias (!) Barcelona for bringing the sunshine, the food and the smiles! I can't wait to get sketching from all the ideas and inspiration you showed me.