Wednesday, 21 May 2014

New Twitter profile template

When Twitter launched their new profile design earlier this year, I thought - Yikes!

I don't like change, so stuck with the old one for as long as possible. Sure, Twitter kept asking me if I wanted to 'turn on' the new version, but I resisted, imagining that stars might collide and the earth might be turned upside-down if I pressed 'Ok.'  

But after seeing some other Tweeter's pages, which looked pretty cool, I forced myself to be brave and take the plunge.

But alas, I first needed to re-design and upload the different sized header images - argh! - which are different to the old Twitter profile sizes. Doomph.

So this, ladies and gents, is why I figured it out and I thought I would share it with you and help you out so you can come and join me in new Twitter land! Below are the easy steps and a free Twitter image template that you can use as a starting point.

 photo twitterprofiletemplate_zps458b658e.jpg
The secret of the new profile design below....
1.
first of all, I opened a blank Photoshop file
> File > New > Blank File

2.
Then, type in the name you want to call the file, then in the dimensions I tapped in width = 1500 Pixels and height = 500 pixels. Then in the next box 'Resolution' make sure the setting is at 300dpi (sometimes it defaults to 72dpi, but making sure it's 300dpi will make your image nice and clear and not pixilated).

3.
The new 'BIG' header image is 1500 x 500 pixels BUT, it will almost always crop about 50 pixels from the top and bottom when you upload - this is to take into consideration different screen sizes and the mobile site version (confused? yep, they don't make it simple, do they!) So basically to cut a long story short, just make sure you don't put anything important right at the top or bottom and just stick to the general centre of the image and you should be fine.

(If you're on a BIG monitor and increase your screen size, Twitter will probably show 'all' of your image - but not many people view Twitter on a mahussive monitor.)

4.
Equally, avoid putting anything important on the bottom left of the image - because this is where your 'profile' picture sits so it just blocks anything that's there.

6.
So, back to Photoshop, you should now have a BIG WHITE SPACE. Now what to do with it?

Well, you can just drag and drop a photo from your album that you like, or add some text, or drop in your company logo etc etc.  I dropped in my logo and a few images from my sketchbook from recent projects. I wanted to make it look 'Sketchbooky' so I put a filter over the images (but you don't have to do this).

Just play around dropping in various images until you find something you like (You click >File > Place and select an image if you can't drag and drop from your laptop.)

7.
Once you're happy with the image click Save, and drop down the file format and select JPG and hit Ok.  Et voila, you're done.

8.
Now, for the smaller 'square' profile picture, you need to follow the same steps but set up a New Blank File and make sure you start with the dimensions as 400 pixels by 400 pixels. Both files are designed separately and uploaded in Twitter settings, separately.

Yeah, you DID IT!  Now go and upload that bad boy and let me know when you have so I can have a look!

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

AB 
x